Ralleio Geniko Lykeio Thilieon Peiraia and the Panhellenic Association of Bioscientists organized the 14th Biology Conference “Society meets modern Biology” online at the press room of the Ministry of Education. It was attended by 1507 attendees in Greece and 57 from abroad. The conference was broadcast live by Diavlos live broadcast program service. It was also recorded by Bodossaki Foundation and will be shortly uploaded on www.blond.gr. The conference had been initially scheduled for 6 and 7 March 2020 but was cancelled on account of force majeure due to COVID-19.
The online lectures were held as follows:
Thursday 28 May 2020
- “Evolution: an abstract scientific theory or an everyday matter?”, P. Pafilis, Professor, Biology Department, University of Athens,
- “Critical issues for the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 through the environment”, A. Mavridou, Professor, University of West Attica,
- “Beyond DNA… Gene regulation and the exciting role of RNA”, Dr E. Anastasiadou, Researcher, Genetics Laboratory, Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens.
Friday 29 May 2020
- “Modern approaches to the diagnosis of chromosomatic anomalies during prenatal and postnatal screening”, V. Velissariou, PhD, Clinical Cytogeneticist, Scientific Director, Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, BioMed Group,
- “Metabolomic diseases: from genotype to phenotype and from diagnosis to treatment”, A. Iliadi, PhD, MSc, Clinical Biochemist, Post Doctoral Researcher at the Institute of Child Health, National Neonate Preventive Screening Program,
- “Molecular Diagnostics of the most frequent monogenic diseases- hemoglobinopathies and cystic fibrosis”, P. Kollia, Professor of Human Molecular Genetics, Biology Department, University of Athens